Letters of Recommendation
Why Should I Get Letters of Recommendation?
Some colleges and scholarships ask for two or three recommendation letters from people who know you well. These letters should be written by someone who can describe your skills, accomplishments and personality.
Recommendations are valued because they:
- Reveal things about you that grades and test scores can’t
- Provide personal opinions of your character
- Show who is willing to speak on your behalf
Tips for getting the best letters of recommendations:
- Give your recommenders plenty of time to write good letters – 1 month or more
- Ask your counselor, teacher, clergy, coach, volunteer coordinator – those who know you well
- Fill out a brag sheet ahead of time to help recommenders “flesh out” a whole picture of you
- Make sure your recommenders know deadlines
- If recommender needs to do recommendation online make sure to include links
- If recommender needs to mail recommendation provide addressed stamped envelope
- Write thank you notes. Let your recommenders know you appreciate their time and effort